To promote and foster ideals of the Olympic and Commonwealth Movements among Member States.
- To promote the enhancement of legislation that protects athletes’ welfare including preservation of their earnings.
- Mass participation (number, number, one big family); effectively a low cost high impact event.
- The marathon must ultimately be a competition for the runners (quality of competition and organization is key).
- It must be a fun event
- It must engender the SADC Community spirit (continue the legacy of frontline states)
- It must celebrate Africanness
- It must be accessible for the local community without discrimination
- It must be an attractive event
- It must generate profit
- Entertainment/ music/ dance etc.
- It must be voluntary (no unique cohesion)
- Must have low barriers of entry
- Must cut across all groups, gender, age, etc. SADC Spirit:
- At least all the SADC countries must participate
- It must be a competitive event
- The marathon must promote wellness awareness
The theme and ambiance of the day must be about celebrating Africa (food, decoration, colours, plants, etc.)
Entry requirements must be minimal
- There must be prize money for the marathon (40 prizes)
- There must be a goodies bag for the ‘fun marathon’
- The fun-run aspect must have a special sector challenge. E.g. ministers, corporate etc.